High Commission of India
North East India – Bangladesh EXIM Conclave, February 22, 2017, Hotel Dhaka Regency
1. North East Foundation, India in association with Bangladesh Organic Products Manufacturers’ Association, Allied Food Industries, Dhaka and Sindhiya Enterprise, Dhaka organized North East India – Bangladesh EXIM Conclave in Hotel Dhaka Regency, Dhaka on February 22, 2017. The conclave intended to explore opportunities for cooperation between North East India and Bangladesh in the horticulture sector and to also showcase the tourism potential of the Northeastern States of India.
2. The event was attended by Dr. Abdur Razzak, Hon’ble Member of Parliament, Bangladesh as the Chief Guest. High Commissioner of India in Bangladesh, Mr. Harsh Vardhan Shringla attended the event as Special Guest.
3. Dr. Abdur Razzak spoke of creating marketing opportunities for farmers and producers of agricultural and horticultural products in the two countries, and added that fruits and vegetables could be traded during the lean periods in the country. He also reminisced about his time in Meghalaya where he was trained during the Liberation war. He particularly remembered the canned pineapple that he used to enjoy during his stay in Meghalaya.
4. Underlining that Bangladesh and neighbouring India states have been part of a sub-regional economy for centuries, the High Commissioner of India, Mr. Harsh Vardhan Shringla spoke about the initiatives being taken by the two countries to re-energize this sub-regional economy by way of improving sub-regional connectivity, opening our borders to trade and improving trade infrastructure. He also talked about the potential for horticultural products and tourism in the Northeast, and expressed hope that the conclave would generate new opportunities for businesses in both the countries.
5. After the inauguration, Government officials from the Northeastern States of Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya and Mizoram presented a glimpse of different horticultural products and of tourism potential in their States. The event also saw presentations on offerings from these States and also on specific requirements of the Bangladesh industry and trading community. Nearly 60 traders and companies from Bangladesh including Pran Group, Allied Food Extracts, and Sindhiya Enterprises participated in the conclave.
February 22, 2017